Welcome to 1 on 1, the official blog of SkateAnywhere.ca written by company owner Dean Sprung.

In business since 2008, we sell synthetic ice rinks, refrigerated ice rinks, boards, nets and pucks for training centres, events and home use.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Coach to Coach

If someone were to ask me if I consider myself a hockey expert, I'd say no.

I still learn about hockey from coaches and other members of the hockey community.  What's interesting is that every coach has their own vision or path to success.  Their approach is built upon what they have learned from other coaches and the guidelines developed by the governing hockey body.  Hockey is so multi-dimensional that there is no formula or standard to guarantee getting to the finals and becoming victorious.  That's what makes hockey exciting and competitive for both coaches and players.

At risk though is a player's development for next season.   It comes down to how broad or narrow a coaches' vision is and what their style of coaching is.  If a coach was determined to win the provincial or state championship at the beginning of the season and they didn't win, can they acknowledge other achievements?  This is a narrow vision.  If a coach was determined to 'win' every shift, be competitive every game, do well in the regular season standings and prepare for the playoffs, this broad vision puts a lot of attention on the players individually.  The players' skills will be ready for next season.

There are a variety of coaching styles out there.  Some that the players/parents like but do not always result in the players and the team developing.  Some that the players/parents do not like but does result in highly developed players and a winning team.  I think that all coaches should be open to new or different techniques.  Remember, hockey is multi-dimensional which means that any given composition of the team or lines and any given game situation is subject to change at any time.  Coaching style should be flexible.

Players should experience several coaching styles to ensure their game knowledge and skill improves.  Some players will leave successful teams just for that reason alone while others maybe locked into that coach for years to come.

In my first year as a rep head coach, I held to one style of coaching.  While there were measurable successes for both players and the team, I think that my style restricted growth in other areas.  In my second year, I changed my style and noticed player and team improvements in other areas than the previous year.  Also, I have moved around and stepped aside over the years to allow my own two boys to experience other coaching visions and styles.

I enjoy learning more about hockey from these new coaches as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment